Joining the IRMS
The IRMS is the foremost association for all information professionals, with over 1200 members in over 30 countries and territories worldwide, across the public, private and voluntary sectors. Our mission is to provide leadership in records and information management by supporting and promoting activity within the profession and being active in advocacy and collaboration.
With effective information management increasingly recognised as an essential requirement in the digital age, join us to make sure you benefit from the shared knowledge and expertise of our 1200 members, and stay one step ahead in this exciting and ever-changing sector.
The IRMS is renowned for its inclusivity, which flows through everything we do. Membership of the Society offers a wide range of benefits, including –
Access to Knowledge
- Our thought-leading magazine, the Bulletin, delivered direct to your home, office or inbox for free, every 2 months – packed with comment, analysis, case studies and news from the UK and international information management scene
- Our monthly e-newsletter, Off the Record, keeping you up-to-date with news and events from the IRMS and wider sector – the perfect place to find out about ongoing initiatives and forthcoming events, as well as what others in the profession are doing day-to-day
- Extensive online content, including the Bulletin archive, our supplier directory, and other resources donated by industry experts – our website offers material to support the whole profession, but there are many resources shared only with our members
- Exclusive IRMS member discounts on training courses and events by leading suppliers – we have partnership agreements with a growing list of industry bodies and training providers, giving our members the widest possible range of development opportunities
Be part of a Community
- Free and preferential access to over 30 in-demand events by over a dozen geographical and special interest groups every year – effectively one-day conferences on a range of topical issues, places at our Groups’ events are always in high demand*
- Discounted rates for our annual Conference – Europe’s premier Information and Records Management event – professionally managed and staged at a variety of venues across the UK in May, our flagship event consistently attracts over 300 delegates and suppliers
- Reserved places at events hosted by our affiliated organisations – we have partnership agreements with other industry bodies, and sponsor many leading events, giving our members the widest possible range of development and networking opportunities
- Extensive network of peers and mentors providing invaluable access to a range of informal and practical advice and support – our mentoring programme sees senior professionals give their time free of charge to support those who are just starting out
Develop as a Professional
- Professional accreditation of skills and experience available to all members, regardless of formal educational attainment – earning the AMIRMS post-nominal is based on one’s learning as a professional, at whatever level and in whatever sector
- Eligibility for our annual industry awards, recognising and rewarding excellence by individuals and organisations – from Lifetime Achievement to New Professionals, we celebrate the achievements of a broad spectrum of our members
- Collective contribution to the development of the sector, including new resources, standards and legislation – we have a number of special projects in which members are invited to contribute to the Society’s response to national initiatives
- Use of IRMS logo, demonstrating authoritative knowledge and a commitment to continuous professional development – membership of the IRMS is a mark of quality, experience and expertise, and allows others to have confidence in your information management practices
* Current UK & Ireland Groups include:
- South West
- Isle of Man
- Public Sector
- Third Sector
- Higher and Further Education
- Financial Services
- SharePoint Practitioners
More information on our excellent Annual Conference –
- Held over 2 days and nights in mid-May, in high-quality and easily accessible venues across the UK with excellent accommodation on site
- Organised and managed ‘by the profession, for the profession’ in collaboration with a specialist events management company
- Attracting over 300 professionals from all industry sectors every year, and a vast array of leading suppliers, service providers and consultants in our exhibition hall
- Boasting a packed programme of world-class presenters sharing their knowledge on a wide range of subjects in keynote speeches and breakout sessions
- Complemented by an enviable social programme offering unrivalled opportunities for networking and knowledge exchange
The Society offers four types of membership:
Corporate: £350.00 p/a
This is designed for companies. It is a transferable membership and therefore provides continuity as the contact name can be changed if a member of staff changes post. Staff can attend IRMS meetings and training at the discounted member rate.
Individual: £80.00 p/a
This is a non-transferable membership designed for an individual to join the Society, providing all of the benefits detailed above.
Affiliate: £40.00 p/a
Any individual interested in supporting the aims and objectives of the Society who has retired from paid professional activity, or resides outside the UK and Ireland, or is unemployed.
Student: £0.00 p/a - yes, free!
Designed for those undertaking full-time or part-time study for a recognised qualification at degree level or equivalent in the Information & Records Management field. Please ensure you provide details of your course and student status when applying and upon renewal.
Joining Halfway Through the Year (New Members)
The membership year with IRMS runs from 1st January to 31st December. Should you, as a new member, wish to join us midway through the year (after the end of June) we can offer reduced rates to compensate for the reduction in membership time. These rates are:
Corporate - £175
Individual - £40
Affiliate - £20
Please note, this does not apply if you are renewing your current membership as renewals are due in January of the new membership year.
The IRMS is on the Approved Professional Organisations register for claiming tax relief on ‘professional fees and subscriptions’ under the Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003.
What this means for our individual members is that for a given tax year (6th April to the following 5th April) when you pay for your IRMS membership yourself, and this is not paid for or reimbursed by your employer, you can claim a percentage of your membership fee back from HMRC as income tax relief.
The exact rate you are eligible to claim varies depending on your personal income tax position as determined by HMRC therefore this will vary from member to member. Please note this does not apply to our student or honorary members, who pay no fees.
For those that do have their membership reimbursed by an employer this also means that your employer can seek some tax relief for the payment they have made. If you simply inform them that we are on the register they can investigate our approval online and progress accordingly.
The Society offers four types of membership, from Corporate through to Student.
If you are not already a member and would like to join the Society, or if you know anyone who would be interested in joining, please complete the application form.